November 1st is here and that means NaNoWriMo – National Novel Writing Month. As someone who is a short story writer, I often look at my friends writing the long form with some envy. They have their own month and I don’t want to be left out so I tell myself that I will finally write one of those novel ideas I’ve been noodling on for forever. Just when I think I’ve picked one and made a decision, the weight of my backlog of revisions, rewrites, or markets I want to submit to smacks me like a brick. So, I’m doing AlterNaNoWriMo.
The rules of AlterNaNoWriMo are simple:
- Just like the real NaNoWriMo, the work you’re rewarded for begins on November 1st and ends at midnight on November 30th but doesn’t have to be a novel, or even 50,000 words.
- Be accountable. Blog and/or tweet tweet (with the #alternano hash tag) your goal(s) your progress.
- Write every day
- Weekly blog status updates
- Daily twitter status updates
- Draft a secret santa story
- Draft, revise, & submit Eye of the People for 20spec
- Draft, revise, & submit Tesla’s Daughter for 20spec
- Rewrite sineater/psychometry story
- Rewrite gluttony story
- Revise The Way Out is Through
I think I convinced a couple people to do #alternano with me this weekend, which was awesome and inspiring and deserves a post of its own, once I’ve had a chance to catch my breath.
[Crossposted from Adam Israel. If you'd like to comment, you can do so either here or there.]